Milestones & Annual Reports
IFAIR was founded in 2010 during a summer school of the German National Academic Foundation. It has come a long way since then! Check out IFAIR’s milestones in the past few years and read more about past projects and developments in our annual reports.
Our Highlights 2015
- The Impact Group EU-ASEAN Perspectives presented the policy paper of its interregional online-workshop to members of the European Commission and to ASEAN ambassadors in Brussels. Successfully implemented for the second time, the Impact Group is now well established in political circles.
- IFAIR’s Trilateral Peace Talks – Germany, Russia, Ukraine sent out a signal of mutual understanding within the continuing strains in the context of the crisis in Ukraine.
- Around 15 IFAIR members had the chance of meeting Dr Wolf-Ruthart Born, former State Sectretary in the German Foreign Ministry, for an exclusive fireside chat. Dr Born informed them about career opportunities in diplomacy and recent events in international affairs.
- Our core team has expanded. With Hannah Elten, Johannes Klein, Ravenna Sohst and Florian Winkler, we have four new dynamic and competent regional directors on board!
Our Highlights 2014
- We have successfully launched and implemented our campaign #IVoteBecause on the European elections. 41 young European published their motivation to go voting and have reached more than 13,000 people.
- The Impact Group EU-ASEAN Perspectives has presented its policy recommendations in the German Bundestag and to ambassador of Indonesia in Berlin. The recommendations had been developed during an online workshop by participants from Europe and South East Asia.
- Due to their essay contribution, Kilian Spandler and Hanna Pfeifer were invited to a talk with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier in Berlin.
- In September, we launched our new regional section Sub-Saharan Africa and were able to welcome Corinna Coupette as a new member in our core team.
Our Highlights 2013
- The Impact Group EU-ASEAN Perspectives has assembled young academics from Asia and Europe at a virtual conference table. In the online workshop, they discussed the future relationship between both regions and decided to form a network of young scientists and practitioners from both regions.
- Some 15 IFAIR member met Dr Ralf Retter, member of staff in the G8/G20 division of the German Chancellery, for a fireside chat at Hertie School of Governance.
- IFAIR has launched a new op-ed column at The European. We are now able give the authors of our Open Think Tank access to an even larger audience.
- Our core team has expanded. We are welcoming Kilian Spandler as regional director “South & East Asia”, Theresa Lieb as Public Relations Officer, Rima-Maria Rahal as Ressource Development Officer and Christian Macht as Head of Web Development.
Our Highlights 2012
- IFAIR has implemented the “Forum Junger Russlandexperten” in Berlin. In collaboration with Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung and Hertie School of Governance, IFAIR has successfully promoted young expertise on Russia, connected practitioners and junior professionals, and enhanced the attractivity of projects on Eastern Europe.
- Our essay competitions on topical issues in International Relations such as the Arab Spring were very popular among readers and contributors.
- We have established a new monthly IFAIR op-ed in Diplomatisches Magazin. Authors writing for our Open Think Tank have now the chance of co-publishing their articles on topics in International Relations.
- Our core team is supported by two competent new individuals: Malvin Oppold is new regional director “Russia & CIS”, Steffen Murau is now in charge of the regional section “EU & Europe”.
Our Highlights 2011
- IFAIR has consistently grown during the first year after its foudation by Hanna Pfeifer, Alexander Pyka, Lukas Rudolph, David Schlutz und Susanne Schwarz in December 2010. We warmly welcome all the new members!
- With a panel discussion on European-Russian Relations as well as practical workshops on international negotiations and a career in international politics, IFAIR was able to leave its traces in the field of young international relations.
- Via the essay competition “Shifting Powers”, students from three continents were able to publish their ideas and perspectives in the Open Think Tank and put them up for discussion.
- Leonard Ghione is new regional manager “North America”, Lukas Keller and Jana Dotschkal share the responsibility for the regional secition “Latin America and the Carribean”.