Connecting the young generation of foreign affairs and international relations: The Foreign Policy Talks bring together young people with decision makers and experts of today in the format of informal “fireside-chats” to discuss current foreign policy issues in Berlin.
What are the Foreign Policy Talks?
Our fireside-chats bring together young people with decision makers and experts of today to discuss current foreign policy issues. They take place every other month in Berlin. It brings together two existing formats: Mattia Nelles’ privately founded “außenpolitischer Gesprächskreis” that has been bringing togetherr young people to discuss foreign policy for over three years now – as well as IFAIR’s fireside chats, that offered IFAIR-members the opportunity to meet interesting personalities from Berlin’s foreign policy-scene.
Among others, our guest included Knut Abraham (Head of Division at the Federal Chancellary), Dr. Wolf-Ruthart Born (former Undersecretary of State at the Federal Foreign Office) and Botschafter Dr. Hinrich Thölken (Permanent Representative at the International Organisations in Rome).
What do we want to achieve?
With the Foreign Policy Talks, IFAIR follows four concrete objectives:
- Raise interest for issues of foreign policy and international relations
- Bring participants together that share an interest in foreign policy
- Receive expert input regarding current foreign policy issues
- Demonstrate opportunities to work in international relations
How can I contribute?
There are a number of opportunities of how you can contribute to the Foreign Policy Talks:
- Come to an event: Each time we can only invite around 15-20 people in order to ensure a good atmosphere for our meeting. Some participants only join for a specific issue, others come regularly. Each event is advertised seperately.
- Suggest a topic or guest: We are always open for suggestions!
- Operative supprort: Setting issues, finding a suitable location and date, invite experts and participants, advertise the event, look for financial support and logistically support on site – drop us a line if you would like to participate in the operative aspects of our fireside chats!
We are currently planning the next meeting in Spring 2017. Stay updated here!